42 Lectures + 14 Tutorias
Outcome of the Course
This course teaches the students important concepts and methods in experimental techniques, with the aim to build their background for future research work in this area.
- Mechanical drawing and designs: Mechanical drawing tools, basic principles of mechanical drawing, dimensions, tolerances, from design to working drawings.
- Basics tools: hand tools, machines for making holes, lathe & milling machines, grinders, casting
- Vacuum technology: gases, gas flow, pressure and flow measurement, vacuum pumps, pumping mechanisms, ultrahigh vacuum, leak detection
- Optical systems: optical components, optical materials, optical sources
- Charge particle optics: electrostatic lenses, charged-particle sources, energy and mass analyzer
- Detectors: optical detectors, photoemission detectors, particle and ionizing radiation detectors, signal to noise ration detection, surface barrier detector, Particle detector: interactions of charged particles and photons with matter; gaseous ionization detectors, scintillation counter, solid state detectors
- Electronics: electronic noise, survey of analog and digital I/Cs, signal processing, data acquisition and control systems, data analysis evaluation
- Nano- and micro-fabrication: various lithography techniques such as photolithography, nanoimprint lithography, e-beam lithography, ion-ball milling
- SEM, TEM, X-ray diffraction, SQUID Magnetometry, Magnetotransport, PL/CL time resolved spectroscopy, Rutherford Backscattering spectrometry (RBS), RBS-Channeling, UV-ViS-iR spectrometry.
- The art of Measurement, by Bernhard Kramer (V. C. H. Publication)
- Building Scientific Apparatus by J. H. Moore et al.
- Experiments in Modern Physics, Second Edition by Adrian C. Melissinos and Jim Napolitano
- The art of Experimental Physics by Daryl W. Preston
- Vacuum Technology by A.Roth (North-Holland publisher)
- Charge particle Beams by Stanley Humphries (John Wiley and Sons)
- Principles of Charged Particles Acceleration, by Stanley Humphries (John Wiley and Sons)
- Radiation Detection and Measurements by G. Knoll (3rd Edition)
- Techniques for Nuclear and Particles Physics Experiments by W.R. Leo (2nd edition, Springer)