- Hydrogen atom including 1.s coupling and hyperfine interaction.
- helium atom introduction to exchange and correlation; variational calculation of ground and exited-states.
- Introduction to the idea of effective potentials for electrons in many-electron atoms (Hartree theory and idea of self-consistency); use of Clementi-Roetti wave-function.
- One-electron atomic systems in an elecromagnetic field; dipole approximation and associated section rules; Stark and Zeeman effect (Note: Instructor will have to introduce the students to time-dependent perturbation theory here).
- Einisteins A and B coefficients, population inversion, laser action, derivation of A and B coefficient from-semi-classical treatment of light-atom interaction.
- Molecular formation: Discussion of atom-atom interaction, van der waals force, ionic interaction and covalent bold .
- Molecular structure: Hydrogen molecule MO and VB picture; importance of correlations.
- Molecular spectra (restricted to two atom molecules) electronic, rotational and vibrational.
- Some lectures left for interesting current topic.
- Elementary Atomic structure -G.K Woodgate
- Atomic Physics: C.J Foot
- Atoms, molecules and Photons: W. Demtroder
- The Theory of atomic Spectra: Condon and Shortley
- Topics in Atomic Physics: C.E Butkhardt and J.L Leventhal