P457 (General Theory of Relativity & Cosmology)
42 Lectures + 14 Tutorials
Outcome of the Course
This course teaches the students important concepts and methods in introductory cosmology, with the aim to build their background for future research work in this area.
- The cosmic history and inventory
- A sketch of general Relativity.
- The expanding Universe
- Friedmann Equations and Cosmological Models
- The Standard cosmological model.
- The inflationary Universe.
- Primordial nucleosynthesis and the thermal history of the Universe.
- Perturbations in an expanding Universe.
- Growth of perturbations
- Dark Matter Halos.
- Statistical description of gravitational clusteing.
- Special Topics: Fluctuations in the CMB, Lensing, Cluster Cosmology, The Lyman-alpha Forest, Reionization, Halo Model, Redshift Space Distortions.
- Introducing Einstein’s General Relativity by Ray D’inverno
- The Early Universe by E. W. Kolb andM. S. Turner
- Introduction to Cosmology by BarbaraRyden
- Modern Cosmology by ScottDodelson
- Principles of Physical Cosmology by P. J. E. Peebles
- Large Scale Structure of the Universe by P. J. E.Peebles
- Structure Formation in the Universe by T.Padmanabhan