P453 (Quantum Field Theory I)
42 Lectures + 14 Tutorials
Outcome of the Course
This course teaches the students important concepts and methods in advanced quantum field theory, with the aim to build their background for future research work in this area.
- Path-integral formulation of quantum mechanics
- Path-integral for scalar fields, generating functional, connected Greens functions, Feynman rules, 1 loop diagrams
- Grassmann variable, path-integral for Dirac field
- Path-integral for Electromagnetic field, gauge fixing
- QED, symmetries and Ward identity
- Renormalization divergences and power counting, Φ4 theory, QED, spontaneous symmetry breaking, Renormalization group basics (running of coupling).
- Yang-Mills theory, gauge fixing and ghosts, BRST, asymptotic freedom
- An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory by M. Peskin and D. V. Schroeder
- Quantum Field theory:From Operators to Path Integrals, 2nd edition by Kerson Huang
- Quantum Field Theory by Mark Srednicki
- Quantum Field Theory by Claude Itzykson and Jean Bernard Zuber
- Notes from Sidney Coleman's Physics 253a, arXiv: 1110.5013