42 Lectures + 14 Tutorials
Outcome of the Course
This course teaches the students important concepts and methods in quantum optics, with the aim to build their background for future research work in this area.
- Electromagnetic field quantization: Quantum fluctuation and Quadrature operators of a single mode field, Thermal fields, Vacuum fluctuation and zero point energy, Quantum phase
- Coherent and squeezed states of radiation field: Properties and phase space picture of coherent state, Generation of a coherent state, Squeezed state physics, generation and Detection of squeezed light, Schrodinger cat states, Multi- mode squeezing, Broadband squeezed light, Squeezing via non-linear process
- Atom-field interaction: Rabi model (Semi-classical model for atom-field interaction), Jaynes-Cummings model (fully quantum mechanical model for atom- field interaction), Dressed states, Density operator approach, Hanle effect, Coherent trapping, electromagnetically induced transparency, Four wave mixing
- Quantum coherence function: photon detection and quantum coherence functions, First order coherence and Youngs type double source experiment, Second order coherence, physics of Hanbury-Brown-Twiss effect, Experiments with single photon, Quantum mechanics of beam splitter, interferometry with single photon
- Optical test of quantum mechanics: photon sources: spontaneous parametric down-conversion, Hong-Ou-Mandel interferometer, Superluminal tunneling of photons, EpR paradox and optical test of Bell.s theorem
- atom Optics: Mechanical effects of light, Laser cooling, atom interferometry, atoms in cavity, Experimental realization of Jaynes-Cummings model
- Heisenberg-limitedinterferometryandquantuminformation:Entanglementandinterferometricmeasurements,Quantum teleportation, Quantum cryptography, an optical realization of some quantum gates.
- Introductory Quantum Optics by C. C. Gerry and P. L. Knight, Cambridge University press
- Quantum Optics by M. O. Scully and M. S. Zubairy, Cambridge University press
- Quantum Optics by M. Fox, Oxford Master series in atomic, Optical and Laser physics
- Quantum Theory of Light by R. Loudon, Oxford science publication