42 Lectures + 14 Tutorials
Outcome of the Course
This course teaches the basics of particle physics and allows the student to start beginning research work in high energy phenomenology
- Elementary particles, discrete symmetries and conservation laws.
- Symmetries and Quarks.
- Klein-Gordon equation, concept of antiparticle.
- Lorentz symmetry and scalar / vector / spinor fields.
- Dirac equation
- Scattering processes of spin-1/2 particles, Feynmans rules as thumb rule QFT course, propagators.
- Current-current interactions, weak interaction, Fermi theory.
- gauge symmetries, spontaneous symmetry breaking, Higgs mechanism 9. Electroweak interaction, Glashow-Salam-Weinberg model. 10. Introduction to QCD, structure of hadrons form factors, structure functions, parton model, Deep inelastic scattering.
- Gauge Theories in Particle Physics, Vol I & II by Aitchison and Hey
- Foundations of Quantum Chromodynamics by T. Muta
- Modern Particle Physics by Mark Thomson
- Introduction to Elementary Particle by David Griffiths
- Quarks and Leptons by F. Halzen and A.D. Martin
- Introduction to High Energy Physics: D.H. Perkins
- Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics: A. Bettini
- Particle Physics by B. R. Martin and G. Shaw