2005: Ph. D. in Organic Photochemistry (Department of Chemistry, IIT Kanpur)
1999: M. Sc. in Chemistry (Department of Chemistry, IIT Kharagpur)
1996: B. Sc. (Honors) in Chemistry (University of Burdwan, West Bengal, India)
2008: Marie Curie Fellowship
2006: Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship
1. K. Choudhuri, M. Pramanik and P. Mal, Direct C-S Bond Functionalization of Benzyl Mercaptan, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2020, doi: 10.1002/ejoc.202000521.
2. A. Mandal, A. Choudhury, S. Sau, P. K. Iyer and P. Mal, Exploring Ambipolar Semiconductor Nature of Binary and Ternary Charge-Transfer Cocrystals of Triphenylene, Pyrene, and TCNQ, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2020, 124, 6544-6553.
3. A. Bal, S. Maiti and P. Mal, Strategies to Control Hypervalent Iodine - Primary Amine Reactions, Chem. Asian J., 2020, 15, 624-635.
4. M. Pramanik, K. Choudhuri, S. Chakraborty, A. Ghosh and P. Mal, (Z)-Selective anti-Markovnikov or Markovnikov thiol–yne-click reactions of an internal alkyne by amide hydrogen bond control, Chem. Commun., 2020, 56, 2991-2994.
5. A. Mandal, P. Swain, B. Nath, S. Sau and P. Mal, Unipolar to Ambipolar Semiconductivity Switching in Charge Transfer Cocrystals of 2,7-di-tert-Butylpyrene, CrystEngComm, 2019, 21, 981-989.
6. A. Mandal, A. Choudhury, R. Kumar, P. K. Iyer and P. Mal, Exploring the semiconductor properties of a charge transfer cocrystal of 1-aminopyrene and TCNQ, CrystEngComm, 2020, 22, 720-727.
7. S. Sau, A. Bose and P. Mal, C−H Mono-Nitration of Indolines using tert-Butyl Nitrite, Asian J. Org. Chem., 2019, 8, 1854-1857.
8. S. Maiti, M. T. Alam, A. Bal and P. Mal, Nitrenium Ions from Amine‐Iodine(III) Combinations, Adv. Synth. Catal., 2019, 361, 4401-4425.
9. S. K. Bera, M. T. Alam and P. Mal, C–N Coupling via Antiaromatic Endocyclic Nitrenium Ions, J. Org. Chem., 2019, 84, 12009-12020.
10. K. Choudhuri, M. Pramanik and P. Mal, λ3-Iodanes as Visible Light Photocatalyst in Thioacetalization of Aldehydes, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2019, 4822-4826.
11. A. Mandal, A. Choudhury, P. K. Iyer and P. Mal, Charge Transfer Versus Arene–Perfluoroarene Interactions in Modulation of Optical and Conductivity Properties in Cocrystals of 2,7-Di-tert-butylpyrene, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2019, 123, 18198-18206.
12. A. Parida, K. Choudhuri and P. Mal, Unsymmetrical Disulfides Synthesis via Sulfenium Ion, Chem. Asian J., 2019, 14, 2579-2583.
13. A. Bose, S. Sau and P. Mal, Intramolecular C(sp3)-H Imination towards Benzimidazoles Using Tetrabutylammonium Iodide and tBuOOH, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2019, 4105-4109.
14. A. Mandal, K. Rissanen and P. Mal, Unravelling substitution effects on charge transfer characteristics in cocrystals of pyrene based donors and 3,5-dinitrobenzoic acid, CrystEngComm, 2019, 21, 4401-4408.
15. A. Bal, S. Maiti and P. Mal, Steric and Electronic Effect on C2-H Arylation of Sulfonamides, ChemistrySelect, 2019, 4, 7010-7014.
16. A. Bose and P. Mal, Mechanochemistry of supramolecules, Beilstein J. Org. Chem., 2019, 15, 881-900.
17. K. Choudhuri, T. K. Achar and P. Mal, Iodine-Triggered Aerobic Oxysulfonylation of Styrenes, Adv. Synth. Catal., 2017, 359, 3566-3576.
18. K. Choudhuri, S. Maiti and P. Mal, Iodine(III) Enabled Dehydrogenative Aryl C−S Coupling by in situ Generated Sulfenium Ion, Adv. Synth. Catal., 2019, 361, 1092-1101.
19. A. Bose, S. Maiti and P. Mal, CHAPTER 9: Soft Forces in Organic Synthesis by C–N Coupling Reactions. In Noncovalent Interactions in Catalysis, K. T. Mahmudov, M. N. Kopylovich, M. F. C. Guedes da Silva and A. J. L. Pombeiro, Eds. The Royal Society of Chemistry: 2019; pp 188-208.
20. A. Bose, S. Maiti, S. Sau and P. Mal, An intramolecular C(sp3)–H imination using PhI–mCPBA, Chem. Commun., 2019, 55, 2066-2069.
21. M. Pramanik, K. Choudhuri and P. Mal, N-Iodosuccinimide as Bifunctional Reagent in (E)-Selective C(sp2)−H Sulfonylation of Styrenes, Asian J. Org. Chem., 2019, 8, 144-150.
22. M. T. Alam, S. Maiti and P. Mal, The mechanochemical synthesis of quinazolin-4(3H)-ones by controlling the reactivity of IBX, Beilstein J. Org. Chem., 2018, 14, 2396-2403.
23. S. Maiti and P. Mal, Electron-Rich Aromatics Under Ball Milling: Oxidative Aryl-iodination Using I2-Oxone and Biarylation with I2, Synth. Commun., 2014, 44, 3461-3469.
24. A. Bal, S. Maiti and P. Mal, Iodine(III)-Enabled Distal C–H Functionalization of Biarylsulfonanilides, J. Org. Chem., 2018, 83, 11278-11287.
25. K. Choudhuri, M. Pramanik, A. Mandal and P. Mal, S−H⋅⋅⋅π Driven Anti-Markovnikov Thiol-Yne Click Reaction, Asian J. Org. Chem., 2018, 7, 1849–1855.
26. M. T. Alam, S. Maiti and P. Mal, An Intramolecular C(sp2)–H Amidation Using N-Iodosuccinimide, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2018, 4178-4186.
27. S. Maiti, A. Bose and P. Mal, Oxidative N-Arylation for Carbazole Synthesis by C–C Bond Activation, J. Org. Chem., 2018, 83, 8127-8138.
28. S. Maiti, M. T. Alam and P. Mal, Soft–Hard Acid–Base‐Controlled C−H Trifluoroethoxylation and Trideuteriomethoxylation of Anilides, Asian J. Org. Chem., 2018, 7, 715-719.
29. K. Choudhuri, A. Mandal and P. Mal, Aerial dioxygen activation vs. thiol-ene click reaction within a system, Chem. Commun., 2018, 54, 3759-3762.
30. S. Maiti and P. Mal, Soft–Hard Acid/Base-Controlled, Oxidative, N-Selective Arylation of Sulfonanilides via a Nitrenium Ion, J. Org. Chem., 2018, 83, 1340-1347.
31. A. Bose and P. Mal, Using weak interactions to control C-H mono-nitration of indolines, Chem. Commun., 2017, 53, 11368-11371.
32. T. K. Achar and P. Mal, Radical-Induced Metal and Solvent-Free Cross-Coupling Using TBAI–TBHP: Oxidative Amidation of Aldehydes and Alcohols with N-Chloramines via C–H Activation, J. Org. Chem., 2015, 80, 666-672.
33. T. K. Achar, S. Maiti and P. Mal, PIDA-I2 mediated direct vicinal difunctionalization of olefins: iodoazidation, iodoetherification and iodoacyloxylation, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2016, 14, 4654–4663.
34. C. Giri, P. K. Sahoo, K. Rissanen and P. Mal, Capturing Hydrophobic Trifluoroiodomethane in Water into an M4L6 Cage, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2016, 4964-4967.
35. T. K. Achar, A. Bose and P. Mal, Mechanochemical Synthesis of Small Organic Molecules, Beilstein J. Org. Chem., 2017, 13, 1907-1931.
36. P. K. Sahoo, C. Giri, T. S. Haldar, R. Puttreddy, K. Rissanen and P. Mal, Mechanochemical Synthesis, Photophysical Properties, and X-ray Structures of N-Heteroacenes, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2016, 1283-1291.
37. A. Bose and P. Mal, Electrophilic aryl-halogenation using N-halosuccinimides under ball-milling, Tetrahedron Lett., 2014, 55, 2154-2156.
38. S. Maiti and P. Mal, Dehydrogenative Aromatic Ring Fusion for Carbazole Synthesis via C–C/C–N Bond Formation and Alkyl Migration, Org. Lett., 2017, 19, 2454-2457.
39. T. K. Achar and P. Mal, Transformation of Contact-Explosives Primary Amines and Iodine(III) into a Successful Chemical Reaction under Solvent-Free Ball Milling Conditions, Adv. Synth. Catal., 2015, 357, 3977-3985.
40. P. K. Sahoo, A. Bose and P. Mal, Solvent-Free Ball-Milling Biginelli Reaction by Subcomponent Synthesis, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2015, 6994-6998.
41. T. K. Achar, S. Maiti and P. Mal, IBX works efficiently under solvent free conditions in ball milling, RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 12834-12839.
42. S. Maiti, T. K. Achar and P. Mal, An Organic Intermolecular Dehydrogenative Annulation Reaction, Org. Lett., 2017, 19, 2006-2009.
43. T. K. Achar, P. K. Sahoo and P. Mal, Cation-π Assisted Synthesis of Alkyl Aryl Ethers via C-CN Functionalization of 1,2-Dicyano Pyrazines, ChemistrySelect, 2017, 2, 1944-1949.
44. C. Giri, F. Topić, P. Mal and K. Rissanen, Anion-controlled formation of an aminal-(bis)imine Fe(II)-complex, Dalton Trans., 2014, 43, 15697-15699.
45. B. N. Ghosh, M. Lahtinen, E. Kalenius, P. Mal and K. Rissanen, 2,2′:6′,2″-Terpyridine Trimethylplatinum(IV) Iodide Complexes as Bifunctional Halogen Bond Acceptors, Cryst. Growth Des., 2016, 16, 2527-2534.
46. A. Bose and P. Mal, Cross Redox Coupling of Aryl-Aldehydes and p-Benzoquinone, J. Org. Chem., 2015, 80, 11219-11225.
47. S. Maiti and P. Mal, Phenyliodine Diacetate-Mediated Intramolecular C(sp2)-H Amidation for 1,2-Disubstituted Benzimidazole Synthesis under Metal-Free Conditions, Adv. Synth. Catal., 2015, 357, 1416-1424.
48. P. Mal, D. Schultz, K. Beyeh, K. Rissanen and J. R. Nitschke, An unlockable-relockable iron cage by subcomponent self-assembly, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2008, 47, 8297-8301.
49. P. Mal, B. Breiner, K. Rissanen and J. R. Nitschke, White Phosphorus Is Air-Stable Within a Self-Assembled Tetrahedral Capsule, Science, 2009, 324, 1697-1699.
50. C. Giri, P. K. Sahoo, R. Puttreddy, K. Rissanen and P. Mal, Solvent-Free Ball-Milling Subcomponent Synthesis of Metallosupramolecular Complexes, Chem. Eur. J., 2015, 21, 6390–6393.
51. B. N. Ghosh, F. Topic, P. K. Sahoo, P. Mal, J. Linnera, E. Kalenius, H. M. Tuononen and K. Rissanen, Synthesis, structure and photophysical properties of a highly luminescent terpyridine-diphenylacetylene hybrid fluorophore and its metal complexes, Dalton Trans., 2015, 44, 254-267.
52. C. Giri, F. Topic, P. Mal and K. Rissanen, Self-assembly of a M4L6 complex with unexpected S4 symmetry, Dalton Trans., 2014, 43, 17889-17892.
53. M. Schmittel, P. Mal and A. de los Rios, Multiport logic operations triggered by protonation - a trisphenanthroline as a 3-input AND-NOR-OR circuit, Chem. Commun., 2010, 46, 2031-2033.
54. A. de los Rios, P. Mal, A. J. Meixner, D. Khoptyar and M. Schmittel, Fluorescent chemosensors for chromium(III) ions and the Cr3+/Cr2+ ratio, Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn., 2011, 84, 620-622.
55. J. N. Moorthy, P. Mal, R. Natarajan and P. Venugopalan, Efficient Photocyclization of o-Alkylbenzaldehydes in the Solid State: Direct Observation of E-Xylylenols en Route to Benzocyclobutenols, J. Org. Chem., 2001, 66, 7013-7019.
56. T. K. Achar, V. Prakash, H. S. Biswal and P. Mal, An isoquinoline as cation assisted ON–OFF–ON fluorescence switch with methionine and fluoride ion, Tetrahedron Lett., 2013, 54, 1067-1070.
57. B. N. Ghosh, S. Bhowmik, P. Mal and K. Rissanen, A highly selective, Hg2+ triggered hydrogelation: modulation of morphology by chemical stimuli, Chem. Commun., 2014, 50, 734-736.
58. N. Singhal, A. L. Koner, P. Mal, P. Venugopalan, W. M. Nau and J. N. Moorthy, Diastereomer-Differentiating Photochemistry of β-Arylbutyrophenones: Yang Cyclization versus Type II Elimination, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127, 14375-14382.
59. M. Schmittel and P. Mal, Towards technomimetic spoked wheels: dynamic hexakis-heteroleptic coordination at a hexakis-terpyridine scaffold, Chem. Commun., 2008, 960-962.
60. M. Schmittel, V. Kalsani, C. Michel, P. Mal, H. Ammon, F. Jaeckel and J. P. Rabe, Towards nanotubular structures with large voids: dynamic heteroleptic oligophenanthroline metallonanoscaffolds and their solution-state properties, Chem. Eur. J., 2007, 13, 6223-6237.
61. M. Schmittel, B. He and P. Mal, Supramolecular Multicomponent Self-Assembly of Shape-Adaptive Nanoprisms: Wrapping up C60 with Three Porphyrin Units, Org. Lett., 2008, 10, 2513-2516.
62. M. Schmittel, V. Kalsani, P. Mal and J. W. Bats, The HETTAP Approach: Self-Assembly and Metal Ion Sensing of Dumbbell-Shaped Molecules and Clip Molecules, Inorg. Chem., 2006, 45, 6370-6377.
63. J. N. Moorthy, P. Venkatakrishnan, P. Mal and P. Venugopalan, Solid-State Diphotocyclization of Iso- and Terephthalaldehydes via Dihalogen Substitution, J. Org. Chem., 2003, 68, 327-330.
64. J. N. Moorthy, P. Venkatakrishnan, P. Mal, S. Dixit and P. Venugopalan, Crystal Engineering: Identification of a Unique Supramolecular Synthon Based on C:O···X Interaction in Halogen-Substituted Aromatic Carboxaldehydes, Cryst. Growth Des., 2003, 3, 581-585.
65. J. N. Moorthy, N. Singhal and P. Mal, Facile conversion of lactols to lactones using IBX, Tetrahedron Lett., 2004, 45, 309-312.
66. J. N. Moorthy, R. Natarajan, P. Mal and P. Venugopalan, Polymorphism of an o-anisaldehyde: a novel example of channel-type organization sustained by weak C-H···O and C-H···N hydrogen bonds, New J. Chem., 2004, 28, 1416-1419.
67. J. N. Moorthy, R. Natarajan, P. Mal and P. Venugopalan, Helical Self-Assembly of Substituted Benzoic Acids: Influence of Weaker X···X and C-H···X Interactions, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2002, 124, 6530-6531.
68. J. N. Moorthy, P. Mal, N. Singhal, P. Venkatakrishnan, R. Malik and P. Venugopalan, Highly Diastereoselective Tandem Photoenolization-Hetero-Diels-Alder Cycloaddition Reactions of o-Tolualdehydes in the Solid State, J. Org. Chem., 2004, 69, 8459-8466.
69. J. N. Moorthy, P. Mal, R. Natarajan and P. Venugopalan, Solid-State Photochromism and Photoreactivity of o- and p-Anisaldehydes. Remarkable Stabilization of o-Xylylenols, Org. Lett., 2001, 3, 1579-1582.
70. J. N. Moorthy and P. Mal, Norrish Type II photoreactivity of β-anisylalkanophenones and solvent effects on stereoselective Yang cyclization, Tetrahedron Lett., 2003, 44, 2493-2496.
71. P. Mal and J. R. Nitschke, Sequential self-assembly of iron structures in water, Chem. Commun., 2010, 46, 2417-2419.
72. P. Mal, U. Lourderaj, Parveen, P. Venugopalan, J. N. Moorthy and N. Sathyamurthy, Conformational Control and Photoenolization of Pyridine-3-carboxaldehydes in the Solid State: Stabilization of Photoenols via Hydrogen Bonding and Electronic Control, J. Org. Chem., 2003, 68, 3446-3453.
73. R. A. Bilbeisi, J. K. Clegg, N. Elgrishi, X. d. Hatten, M. Devillard, B. Breiner, P. Mal and J. R. Nitschke, Subcomponent Self-Assembly and Guest-Binding Properties of Face-Capped Fe4L48+ Capsules, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 5110-5119.
Mechanochemistry and Ball-milling
Metal free coupling reactions
2015: (August): C301 Physical Organic Chemistry
2015: (January): C344 Organic Chemistry II
2014: (January): C244 Biomolecular Chemistry Lab
2014: (January): C102 Chemistry II
2013: (August): C401 Physical Methods in Chemistry II
2013: (January): C204 Reagents in Organic Synthesis
2012: (August): C553 Physical Organic Chemistry
2012: (January): C204 Organic Chemistry II
2011: (August): C559 Supramolecular Chemistry
2011: (January): CE801 Physical Organic Chemistry
2010: (August): CE702 Supramolecular Chemistry
2010: (January): CE04 Organic Photochemistry
Dr. Prasenjit Mal
Associate Professor, School of Chemical Sciences, NISER Bhubaneswar
PO Bhimpur-Padanpur, Via Jatni, District Khurda, Odisha, PIN 752050, INDIA
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Ph: +91-9439613856/+91-7205667415 (Mob); +91-6742494188 (off)
Alternate email: <email@example.com>