DST, SERB Young Scientist
PhD From Alber Ludwigs University of Frieburg, Germany
PhD Title "Characterization of Mutants involved in Phytochrome A signal Transducation and Nuclear Import in Arabidopsis thaliana"
Plant Agricultural Biotechnology, Light Signal transduction, Abiotic stress Physiology related to low light, Rice crop yield and related attributes
Crop yield is affected by low R/FR ratio of incident light which is characteristic of dense canopy. The R/FR ratio of incident light in turn interprets the status of canopy architecture and photoperiod length which is also amongst the most important information regulating crop yield. In addition to the information of light quality, quantity, direction, incidence plane, Phytochromes capture the information of R/FR ratio of incident light. There is little known about Phy regulation of crop yield in dense canopy. Our aim is to study the regulation of phytochrome signaling that may affect various yield components in rice. For this several megavarities, introgression lines and EMS mutants of rice are used. This study will help in designing strategies for engineering rice that are better adapted to dense canopy and unpredictable weather conditions with higher yield.
1. Sai Krishna Talla, Madhusmita Panigrahy, Saivishnupriya Kappara, P Nirosha, Sarla Neelamraju and Rajeshwari Ramanan. Cytokinin delays dark-induced senescence in rice by maintaining the chlorophyll cycle and photosynthetic complexes. JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BOTANY. 2016; 67(6):1839-51. doi:10.1093/jxb/erv575.
2. P. Yugandhar, N. Veronica, M. Panigrahy, D. Nageswara Rao, D. Subrahmanyam, S. R. Voleti, S. K. Mangrauthia, R. P. Sharma and N. Sarla. Comparing hydroponics, sand, and soil medium to evaluate contrasting rice Nagina 22 mutants for tolerance to phosphorus deficiency 2017. CROP SCIENCE. doi:10.2135/cropsci2016.07.0594.
3. Madhusmita Panigrahy , D. Nageswara Rao , P. Yugandhar , N. Sravan Raju , P. Krishnamurthy , S.R. Voleti , G. Ashok Reddy , T. Mohapatra , S. Robin , A.K. Singh , Kuldeep Singh , M. Sheshshayee , R.P. Sharma and N. Sarla. Hydroponic experiment for identification of tolerance traits developed by rice Nagina 22 mutants to low-phosphorus in field condition. ARCHIVES OF AGRONOMY AND SOIL SCIENCE, 2014 Vol. 60, No. 4, 565–576, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03650340.2013.821197
4. Yugandhar Poli, Ramana Kumari Basava1, Madhusmita Panigrahy1, …Sarla Neelamraju. Characterization of a Nagina22 rice mutant for heat tolerance and mapping of yield traits. RICE. 2013, 6:36. (1 equal authorship)
5. T. Sudhakar, Madhusmita Panigrahy, …N. Sarla. “Variation and Correlation of Phenotypic Traits Contributing to High Yield in KMR3-Oryza rufipogon Introgression Lines” 2012, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PLANT BREEDING AND GENETICS, Volume 6, No: 2, Page: 69-82. doi: 10.3923/ijpbg.2012.69.82
6. V Vishnu Prasanth, DVN Chakravarthi, T Vishnu Kiran, Y Venkateswara Rao, Madhusmita Panigrahy… N Sarla. “Evaluation of rice germplasm and introgression lines for heat tolerance.” ANNALS OF BIOLOGICAL RESEARCH. 2012, 3 (11):5060-5068
7. Madhusmita Panigrahy, … Sarla N. “Characterisation of EMS induced mutants of rice variety Nagina 22 for yield, drought tolerance and phosphorus use efficiency.” 2011, DRR Newsletter, Volume 9, No:1, Page: 3.
8. Madhusmita Panigrahy, Sarla N and Ramanan R. “Heat tolerance in stay green mutants of rice cv. Nagina 22 is associated with reduced accumulation of reactive oxygen species” BIOLOGIA PLANTARUM 55 (4): 721-724, 2011.
9. Madhusmita Panigrahy “Intact cytoskeleton organization plays a role in nuclear import and speckle formation of Phytochrome A and B in Arabidopsis seedlings” in PRESS JOURNAL OF PHYTOLOGY; 2011; 3(1): 59-67.
10. Madhusmita Panigrahy, , Neelamraju S. "Molecular mechanisms in response to phosphate starvation in rice" “BIOTECHNOLOGY ADVANCES” 2009, Volume 27 Issue 4: 389-397.
11. Kishore C. S. Panigrahi, Madhusmita Panigrahy, Mark.Stackelberg, Ralf Reski and Man Mohan Johri “Auxin-binding proteins of moss Funaria hygrometrica and Zea mays” PLANT CELL REPORTS; 2009; Volume 28; Number 11; Pages: 1747-1758. http://www.springerlink.com/content/nm4614651367p7m3/
12. Madhusmita Panigrahy “Characterisation of mutants involved in Phytochrome A signal transduction.” der biologischen Fakultät der Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg im Breisgau. http://www.freidok.uni-freiburg.de/volltexte/1543/
© 2016-17 National Institute of Science Education and Research Bhubaneswar, All Rights Reserved.